John Whitaker and Argento take top honors
04 10 2015
The winning horse-and-rider combination of the Longines Grand Prix and the Gucci Gold Cup at the Longines Masters of Hong Kong continued their hot streak at Longines Masters events with a win in the first 1.50-meter, CSI5* class of the show in LA on Friday. John Whitaker (GBR) piloted 13-year-old, dark bay stallion Argento (Arko III x Gasper) to the top of the field of 34 of the world’s best in the $85,000 Prix Airbus to the thrill of a large, Friday evening crowd.
Nine countries were represented in the jump-off round, with 21 of the 34 pairs qualifying for the final contention for the win and vying for first place over an expertly designed course from Luc Musette. Whitaker was 19 in the order of go for the jump off, chasing a top time of 32.58 seconds recorded by Edwina Tops-Alexander (AUS) and 12-year-old, Holsteiner mare Lintea Tequila (Campbell x Corrado II). Smooth and efficient riding turned in a clear round with a time of 31.99 seconds for Whitaker to claim the win.
1. 125 Argento Whitaker, John GBR 28050.00 US 0 penalties 31.99 sec jump-off
2. 114 Lintea Tequila Tops-Alexander, Edwina AUS 17000.00 US 0 penalties 32.58 sec jump-off
3. 103 Toulago Deusser, Daniel GER 12750.00 US 0 penalties 32.95 sec jump-off
4. 127 Flexible Fellers, Richard USA 8500.00 USD 0 penalties 33.02 sec jump-off
5. 137 Washington Square Bloomberg, Georgina USA 5100.00 USD 0 penalties 34.16 sec jump-off
6. 178 Boomerang Maher, Ben GBR 3825.00 USD 0 penalties 34.90 sec jump-off
7. 153 Hello M'Lady Brash, Scott GBR 2550.00 USD 0 penalties 39.80 sec jump-off
10. 116 HH Azur Ward, McLain USA 1700.00 USD 4 penalties 32.89 sec jump-off
11. 109 Mark Q Babington, Kevin IRL 850.00 USD 4 penalties 33.87 sec jump-off
Source: Press release from Longines Masters Los Angeles